Call Now For A Free Consultation
Toll Free: (866) 907-1145 | Local: (919) 833-3370

Government Worker Injuries

Government employees perform diverse roles that keep our cities, states, and nation running smoothly. From mail carriers and firefighters to office workers and park rangers, government workers play a vital part in our society. However, like any job, working for the government worker injuries are common. When government workers are injured on the job, the workers' compensation process can be notably complex. Here's what you need to know.

FREE Consultations

Call us at (866) 907-1145 24/7 to arrange to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your case, or contact us through the website today.

Who Qualifies as a Government Worker?

Government Worker Injuries

Government workers are individuals employed by federal, state, or local government entities. They perform a vast array of functions necessary for the smooth running of public services and administration. Here are some examples of who qualifies as a government worker:

Federal Employees

These are individuals who work for the federal government. They can be found in numerous agencies such as the Department of Defense, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and many others. This group also includes the U.S. Postal Service employees and military personnel.

State Employees

These individuals are employed by state government agencies. They might work in a variety of areas, such as state universities, the Department of Motor Vehicles, state parks, or the state Department of Health.

Local Government Employees

These are individuals who work for city, county, or other local government entities. This group includes:

Elected Officials

These are individuals who are elected to serve in government positions at the federal, state, or local level. They include individuals such as the President, Senators, Representatives, state Governors, state legislators, mayors, and city council members.

Public Sector Contractors

While not directly employed by the government, contractors who provide services to government entities are sometimes considered government workers for certain purposes. However, their status can vary depending on the specific context, such as eligibility for government benefits or protections.

The Workers' Compensation Process for Government Employees

For private sector employees, the workers' compensation process is typically straightforward. However, for government workers, the system can be quite different. Instead of dealing with private insurance companies, government employees often navigate a distinct compensation system designed specifically for federal, state, or local government workers.

Federal Workers' Compensation Process

The federal government has a distinct process for workers' compensation, governed by the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA), which is administered by the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP).

Reporting the Injury

As a federal employee, if you sustain a work-related injury or illness, you must report it to your supervisor as soon as possible. Delays in reporting can potentially cause complications in your claim.

Seeking Medical Attention

If necessary, seek immediate medical attention. Be sure to inform the healthcare provider that the injury or illness is work-related.

Filing a Claim

You will need to file a workers' compensation claim with the OWCP. The form to use depends on the type of injury or illness. For instance, if you have suffered a traumatic injury, you will need to use Form CA-1, "Federal Employee's Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation." For occupational diseases, Form CA-2, "Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation," should be used.

Review by the OWCP

Once your claim is submitted, the OWCP reviews it. They will determine if your claim is approved based on the evidence provided, which includes medical records, accident reports, and any other supporting documents.

Acceptance or Denial

If your claim is accepted, you will start receiving benefits, which can include payment for medical expenses and compensation for lost wages. If your claim is denied, you will receive a written explanation for the denial.

Appealing a Denial

If you disagree with the decision, you have the right to appeal. The appeals process can be complex and may involve a hearing before an OWCP representative, written arguments, or a review by the Employees' Compensation Appeals Board (ECAB).

Ongoing Case Management

If your claim is accepted, the OWCP will continue to monitor your case. They may require periodic medical exams or updates on your condition.

The process can be complex, and it's important to understand and meet all deadlines and requirements to ensure you receive the benefits you're entitled to. Because of this, many federal employees opt to seek the assistance of a workers' compensation attorney experienced in federal workers' compensation law to guide them through the process.

North Carolina Government Workers' Compensation Process

Government Worker Injuries

In North Carolina, the workers' compensation process for state government workers largely follows the same procedures as for private sector employees. The North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) administers the state's workers' compensation system. Here's a general outline of the process:

Reporting the Injury

If you're a state government employee and you suffer a work-related injury, you should report it to your supervisor immediately.

Seeking Medical Treatment

Seek necessary medical treatment promptly. Inform your healthcare provider that your injury is work-related.

Filing a Claim

You'll need to file a formal claim with the NCIC using a Form 18, which is a "Notice of Accident to Employer and Claim of Employee." Your employer should also file a Form 19, "Employer’s Report of Employee’s Injury or Occupational Disease to the Industrial Commission," within five days of learning about your injury.

Employer's Response

Your employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier will then investigate the claim. They may request medical records, conduct interviews, or take other steps to determine whether your claim should be accepted.

Acceptance or Denial

If your claim is accepted, you will begin receiving benefits, which can include payment for medical expenses and compensation for lost wages. If your claim is denied, you will be notified with a reason for the denial.

Appealing a Denial

If you disagree with the denial of your claim, you can request a hearing with the NCIC. This process can be complicated and often involves presenting evidence, witness testimonies, and legal arguments.

Ongoing Case Management

If your claim is accepted, there may be ongoing case management, including periodic check-ins and potential reviews of your medical condition and treatment.

Common Injuries Among Government Workers

Working in the government sector can lead to various types of injuries depending on the specific role and department. Here are some of the common types of injuries:

Repetitive Strain Injuries

These are common in jobs that involve a lot of computer work. The repeated motion of typing or clicking a mouse can lead to conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis.

Stress-Related Illnesses

High-stress jobs can lead to physical health issues like hypertension, heart disease, gastrointestinal problems, and other stress-related disorders. Mental health issues like anxiety and depression can also occur due to high-stress levels.

Slips, Trips, and Falls

These are common in any workplace and can result in injuries ranging from minor cuts and bruises to serious fractures or concussions.

Workplace Violence Injuries

Government employees, particularly those in law enforcement or social services, can be at risk of injuries due to workplace violence. These injuries can range from minor to life-threatening.

Ergonomic Injuries

These occur due to poor workstation design or posture. Examples include back pain, neck pain, and eye strain.

Vehicle-Related Injuries

Employees who drive as part of their job, like postal workers or law enforcement officers, may be at risk of traffic-related injuries.

Exposure to Hazardous Materials

Some government jobs, like those in waste management or scientific research, may involve exposure to hazardous substances which can cause injuries or illnesses.


Jobs that require heavy lifting or long periods of standing can lead to injuries like sprains, strains, and musculoskeletal disorders.

Common Injuries Among Emergency Response Workers

Emergency response workers, including firefighters, emergency medical services (EMS) personnel, and police officers, face a unique set of risks on the job, and as a result, they can suffer from specific types of injuries. Here are some of the most common:

Musculoskeletal Injuries

Emergency response workers often have to lift heavy equipment or patients, which can lead to overexertion injuries like strains, sprains, and tears.

Slips, Trips, and Falls

These workers often work in unpredictable environments, which can increase the risk of falls.

Burns and Smoke Inhalation

Firefighters, in particular, are at risk of burns and injuries from smoke inhalation.

Exposure to Hazardous Materials

Emergency workers often deal with situations involving hazardous substances, which can lead to injuries or illnesses. This includes exposure to bloodborne pathogens in EMS workers.

Vehicle Accidents

Emergency response workers often need to drive at high speeds in difficult conditions, which can lead to vehicle-related injuries.

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

The loud sirens and equipment used by these workers can lead to noise-induced hearing loss over time.

Violence-Related Injuries

Police officers and sometimes EMS personnel can face injuries from violent encounters, including gunshots and physical assaults.

Mental Health Issues

Due to the high-stress nature of their work, emergency response workers are at an increased risk for mental health issues like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression.

Heat Stress

Firefighters can suffer from heat-related injuries like heat stroke or exhaustion, particularly when fighting fires in hot weather.

Proper training, use of personal protective equipment, and mental health support are all crucial for preventing injuries among emergency response workers.

How To Seek Compensation for Government Worker Injuries

Government workers who are injured on the job typically have the right to seek compensation for their injuries. The process can vary depending on whether you are a state, local, or federal employee. Here's a general outline of steps you might take:

Report the Injury

Inform your supervisor about the injury as soon as possible. You should provide a detailed written report of the incident including the date, time, how it happened, any witnesses, and the nature of your injuries.

Seek Medical Attention

Get medical help immediately after the injury. This is important for your health and provides medical evidence of the injury.

Document Everything

Keep a detailed record of everything related to your injury, including medical expenses, time off work, and any communication about the injury. Also, keep a journal of your pain levels, the impact on daily activities, and your recovery process.

File a Workers' Compensation Claim

Each government body will have a procedure for this. Typically, you'll need to fill out a claim form provided by your employer or their insurance company. You'll provide details about the injury and how it occurred. Submit the form within the required time frame. Late submission may jeopardize your claim.

Follow Medical Advice

It's crucial to follow the treatment plan recommended by your healthcare provider. If you don't, it could be used as a reason to deny your claim.

Get Legal Help

You may wish to consult with a lawyer who specializes in workers' compensation. They can help navigate the process and ensure your rights are protected.

For federal employees, the process is a little different. The federal government has its own workers' compensation program run by the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP). If you're a federal employee, you would file a claim through the OWCP.

How a Workers' Compensation Lawyer Can Help You

This is where a workers' compensation lawyer can be incredibly helpful. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the intricate process, help gather necessary evidence, communicate with the workers' compensation administrators on your behalf, and represent you in any hearings or appeals.

In cases of severe injury where returning to your previous role isn't possible, your lawyer can also help you access other benefits you may be entitled to, such as vocational rehabilitation or disability retirement.

Contact The Law Offices of John M. McCabe

No one expects to be injured at work, but it's crucial to understand your rights and the process for claiming compensation if you are. For government workers, this can mean navigating a unique and complex system. Seeking the assistance of an experienced workers' compensation lawyer can make a significant difference, helping ensure that you receive the compensation and care you need to recover and return to work.

Government Worker Injury FAQs

Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to injuries sustained by government workers:

1. Are all government workers covered by workers' compensation?

Almost all government workers are covered by some form of workers' compensation, which provides benefits for those who are injured or become ill as a result of their job. However, the specific program may vary. For example, federal employees are covered under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA).

2. What benefits can I receive from a workers' compensation claim?

Typically, workers' compensation benefits cover medical expenses related to the injury, a portion of your lost wages if you're unable to work for a period of time, and rehabilitation costs if needed. If the injury results in permanent disability, you may be eligible for long-term benefits.

3. Do I need to prove that my employer was at fault for my injury?

No. Workers' compensation is a no-fault system. This means you can receive benefits regardless of who was at fault for the injury, as long as the injury occurred while you were performing your job duties.

4. What if my claim is denied?

If your workers' compensation claim is denied, you have the right to appeal the decision. The specific process for this can vary, but it generally involves submitting a request for review to the workers' compensation board or equivalent agency. Having a lawyer can be very helpful in this process.

5. Can I be fired for filing a workers' compensation claim?

It is generally illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for filing a workers' compensation claim. This includes actions like firing, demoting, or otherwise punishing the employee. If you believe you've been retaliated against, you should consult with a lawyer.

6. Can I sue my employer if I was injured at work?

In most cases, you cannot sue your employer for a workplace injury. Workers' compensation is usually considered the exclusive remedy, meaning that in exchange for the benefits it provides, you give up the right to sue your employer. However, there can be exceptions to this, such as if your injury was caused by intentional or egregious conduct by your employer. Consult with a lawyer if you believe this applies to you

 Terms To Know While Filing a Government Workers' Comp Claim

When filing a workers' compensation claim, it's essential to understand the terminology associated with the process. Here are some key terms:

Workers' Compensation

A form of insurance that provides wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course of employment. It's a no-fault system, which means you can receive benefits regardless of who caused the workplace injury.


The person who makes a workers' compensation claim. This is typically the injured worker.

Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA)

The federal law provides workers' compensation coverage for federal employees.

Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)

The federal agency administers workers' compensation benefits for federal employees.

First Report of Injury or Illness

The initial report is made after a worker is injured. This is typically filled out by the employer, and it includes information about the injury and how it occurred.

Medical Provider Network (MPN)

A network of health care providers set up by the workers' compensation insurance company to treat workers injured on the job.

Permanent Disability

A lasting disability that results from a work injury and impacts the ability to earn a living. If a worker is permanently disabled, they may be entitled to long-term benefits.

Temporary Disability

A temporary disability means that the worker is unable to perform their usual job duties for a temporary period due to their work-related injury or illness. They may be entitled to temporary disability benefits during this period.

Impairment Rating

A rating given by a medical professional indicates the severity of your impairment and its impact on your ability to perform work activities.

Return to Work Program

A program designed to help injured employees return to work in a capacity that is suitable given their post-injury abilities and condition.


A term used in workers' compensation policies to refer to the eligibility of an injury or illness for compensation.

Understanding these terms can help you navigate the workers' compensation system more effectively. If you have any questions or concerns about your claim, it's always a good idea to consult with a professional, such as an attorney specializing in workers' compensation law.

© 2022 The Law Offices of John M. McCabe, P.A. | All Rights Reserved

Attorney Advertising | Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram